In 1836, Manuel José de Oliveira was bought by a wealthy businessman from Madeira known as Manuel dos Contos, who received the title of Barão de Barcelinhos by D. Maria II. At that time, the Baron of Barcelinhos ordered the columns to be placed on the façade of the National Theater, but which ended up adorning the entrance of the old Polytechnic School of Lisbon.
After the Baron's death, the building houses hotels and several shops.
The hotels that passed through there were Hotel Embaixador, Hotel Europa, also known as Hotel de l'Europe where Sarah Bernhardt settles on her arrival in Lisbon, on April 1, 1888.
Hotel Gibraltar, whose windows on the night of October 31, 1878, made the first electric lighting experiment in Chiado.
The most famous, however, was the Hotel Universal, where opera was performed and where Camilo Castelo Branco and Elisa Hensler, future countess of Edla, second wife of King Fernando de Saxe-Coburgo, stayed and where Eça located some scenes from A Capital.
Of the various stores, and there were many in number and commercial specialty, the most famous were that of tailor João Keil, father of the author of the national anthem, and the studio of the photographer of Casa Real, J. Camacho.